Plan of Treatment for CPR Initiative
When the Do Not Resuscitate Confirmation Form (DNRC) was introduced across the province of Ontario in February 2008, it became apparent that many health care providers were unfamiliar with their obligations under the Health Care Consent Act, 1996 when discussing choices around Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) with patients.
This series of e-learning modules was designed to be part of a blended learning strategy. Modules 1 through 6 are designed to assist health care providers to:
- Understand the difference between Advance Care Planning (ACP) and Informed Consent for health care decision making as described in the Ontario Health Care Consent Act.
- Understand the elements of informed consent and how to apply them to discussions about Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Understand the use of the algorithm as a tool to help guide the process for informed decision making.
- Gain the knowledge and skills to enhance discussions including the process for conflict resolution.
Module 7 is intended to assist members of the public to:
- Understand the purpose of Advance Care Planning (ACP) which includes the role of the Substitute Decision Maker as reflected in the Health Care Consent Act of Ontario.
- Understand the elements of consent in order to make an informed decision related to health care in various setting in the health care system.
Learners may participate in the learning independently by clicking on the link. Each module takes about 20-25 minutes to complete.
|Module 1||Plan of Treatment for CPR|
|Module 2||Algorithm for Development of a Plan of Treatment for CPR|
|Module 3||Guide to Conversations|
|Module 5||Physician Overview|
|Module 6||The PSW's Role|
|Module 7.2||Information for Patients - Advance Care Planning|
|Module 7.3||Information for Families & Substitute Decision Maker(s)|
|Module 7.4||Information for Patients - Scheduled for Surgery|
|Module 7.5||Information to Patients - Admitted to Hospital|
Educational Initiative Support Materials
This section is designed to provide resource material for the implementation of a ‘Plan of Treatment for CPR’ project in health care facilities/institutions. For specific downloadable resources, please refer to the “Resource Section” located in the upper right hand corner of each of the e-learning Modules.
|Algorithm for Development of a Plan of Treatment related to CPR and Completion of the DNR Confirmation Form||Algorithm|
|Algorithm for Conflict Resolution Regarding CPR Decisions||Algorithm|
|Teaching Resource - SAMPLE Case Studies - Conversation Starters||Teaching Resource - SAMPLE Case Studies|
|Communication Phrases||Communication Phrases|
|SAMPLE Brochure - Don`t Be Surprised When We Ask||SAMPLE Brochure|
|Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - for Developing a Plan of Treatment Related to CPR||FAQ|
|Plan of Treatment for CPR - SAMPLE Quiz||SAMPLE Quiz|
|Plan of Treatment for CPR - SAMPLE Quiz ANSWER KEY||SAMPLE Quiz ANSWER KEY|
|Evaluation Focusing: Program Logic Model and Evaluation Framework||Consent for CPR Project Final Evaluation|
Implementation Support Materials – Do-It-Yourself Guide based on the Woodingford Lodges, Oxford County, Ontario Demonstration Project
This material is specific to the work done at the three demonstration sites of the Woodingford Lodge LTC homes in Oxford County, Ontario during phase I of the Plan of Treatment for CPR Initiative. For more information on this project, and practical ‘Do-it-Yourself Tips', please review the links below.
|Section A: Intro to Do-it-Yourself Guide||Section A|
|Section B: Primed for Change||Section B|
|Section C: Blueprint Strategy||Section C|
|Section D: Colourful Management of Change Strategy||Section D|
|Section E: Educational Strategy with Curb Appeal||Section E|
|Section F: Physicians on Board Strategy||Section F|
|Section G: Before and After Evaluation Plan||Section G|